Lady Gaga Officially Cancels Indonesia Concert After Threats
10:35 am, May 27th, 2012
Lady Gaga has officially canceled her concert slated for Indonesia on June 3.
Two weeks ago, it was first noted that the singer was being forced to cancel her show in the capitol city of Jakarta amid fierce opposition from Muslim groups and political leaders who claimed she would corrupt young concert goers.
Religious hard-liners in the country contended that Gaga’s provocative dances and outfits were too “dangerous” an influence to allow, and the national police subsequently denied a permit for the concert.
There were then talks about ways for Gaga to tone down the performance.
But on Sunday, the concert was officially called off, leaving fans upset, despite the show’s promoter offering full refunds.
Gaga herself tweeted, “We had to cancel the concert in Indonesia. I’m so very sorry to the fans & just as devastated as you if not more. You are everything to me.”
Organizers said they weren’t just concerned about the singer’s safety, but also of those attending the concert.
Members of the Islamic Defenders Front (FPI) called the show’s cancellation a “victory,” and noted they had purchased tickets to the “Born This Way Ball” in an effort to disrupt the show.
Gaga vowed on Twitter: “I will try to put together something special for you. My love for Indonesia has only grown. #GagaSendsLoveToJakarta and all its people.”
It’s not the first time the singer has met with resistance from government officials on the Asian leg of her tour.
Gaga’s opening “Born This Way Ball” show, on April 27 in South Korea, was restricted to fans over 18 years old.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Top 10 Picks to Play Christian Grey
- Silicone Sorrows & Botox Blues: Regrettable Celeb Surgeries
- Beyonce And Jay Z's Cutest Family Pics!
- North West, Is That You? Khloe Kardashian Posts A Picture
- Proof That Rihanna & Drake Are Officially Together
- Brody Jenner Probably Not Invited To Kim's Wedding?
- DMX Has Baby Number 12 On The Way!
- The Drama Continues With Pauly D's Baby Mama!
- Was Brittany Murphy Poisoned?
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Bring Her Ex To Premiere?