Kristen Stewart Apologizes for Rape Comments
10:39 am, June 4th, 2010
Kristen Stewart has apologized after comparing her experience with paparazzi intrusion to rape in the July issue of British Elle.
“I really made an enormous mistake — clearly and obviously,” says the actress. “I’m really sorry about my choice of words.”
Stewart spoke with People magazine in Korea, where she’s promoting Eclipse.
Fans and rape victims’ advocates criticized the star this week after her comments to Elle made their way online. In them, Stewart expresses her frustration with constant paparazzi attention and relates it to sexual assault.
“‘Violated’ definitely would have been a better way of expressing the thought,” says Stewart.
Given Stewart’s past work on behalf of the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN) and Security on Campus (SOC) organizations, her sensitivity to the issue of sexual assault is established.
In that light, the Elle comments are regrettable but shouldn’t be immediately interpreted as callousness toward real victims.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter for accurate celebrity news!
Check us out on Facebook!
Visit GossipCop.com for the latest!
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- Highlights of Joe and Teresa Giudice's Plea Deals Revealed
- Kim Kardashian: Airline Passenger Screamed Racist Obscenities at Me
- Why Reality TV Might Cost Kanye His Best Man Jay Z
- What 'Teen Mom' Star Just Bought a House?
- Khloe Kardashian Throws a Fit Over Joan Rivers' Prank