Kristen Stewart Apologizes for Rape Comments
10:39 am, June 4th, 2010
Kristen Stewart has apologized after comparing her experience with paparazzi intrusion to rape in the July issue of British Elle.
“I really made an enormous mistake — clearly and obviously,” says the actress. “I’m really sorry about my choice of words.”
Stewart spoke with People magazine in Korea, where she’s promoting Eclipse.
Fans and rape victims’ advocates criticized the star this week after her comments to Elle made their way online. In them, Stewart expresses her frustration with constant paparazzi attention and relates it to sexual assault.
“‘Violated’ definitely would have been a better way of expressing the thought,” says Stewart.
Given Stewart’s past work on behalf of the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN) and Security on Campus (SOC) organizations, her sensitivity to the issue of sexual assault is established.
In that light, the Elle comments are regrettable but shouldn’t be immediately interpreted as callousness toward real victims.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter for accurate celebrity news!
Check us out on Facebook!
Visit GossipCop.com for the latest!
You might like:
- 15 Sexy Celebrity Hairstyles To Try
- Lady Gaga Debuts Flying Dress
- Celebrity Tattoos: What Were They Thinking?
- Perrie Edwards' Many Hair Colors
- John Mayer & Katy Perry's Romantic Photoshoot
- 30 Child Actors Who Died Young
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actress Adopts Her 'Direwolf'
- The Biggest Celebrity Hypocrites
- Is Miley's Outfit Too Much?
- Rajon Rondo Goes Chinese