Kim Kardashian’s Kitten Mercy Dies: “My Heart is Completely Broken”
By Shari Weiss | 8:20 pm, December 7th, 2012
Kim Kardashian’s cat Mercy has died, the reality star announced on her blog on Friday.
The kitten, which Kardashian received as a gift from boyfriend Kanye West in September, was diagnosed with a fatal virus at the end of November.
It was later decided that, with the illness attacking the animal’s stomach and aggressive treatment unable to help, it would be most humane to have her euthanized.
The tragic news came as quite the shock to Kardashian, who had been forced to stop caring for the kitty herself in October, after discovering she was allergic to it.
Mercy was given to sister Khloe’s assistant Sydney Hitchcock, who had recently lost her own cat after 17 years.
It’s believed Hitchcock took excellent care of the white Persian, but the cat was no match against the virus.
Kardashian wrote on her blog, “It broke not only my heart that little Mercy died at only four months old, but Sydney’s too.”
“Mercy was a gentle and loving kitten and we are all going to miss her so much,” she added. “Thanks to Sydney for making Mercy’s short life one filled with love.”
Kardashian’s full statement about Mercy is below.
Gossip Cop sends its condolences to both the Kardashians and Hitchcock.
KIM KARDASHIAN STATEMENT
It is with deep sadness that I have to tell you all that my kitten, Mercy, has passed away. My heart is completely broken.
When I first got Mercy, I had never lived with a cat before and so I had no idea that I was allergic. I thought that it might pass, but after a few weeks I decided to go visit two separate allergists, one of whom said my allergies wouldn’t get any better unless I started taking injections. I had fallen SO in love with Mercy that I wanted to try everything I could to keep her, but I didn’t think it was safe to resort to injections, and it wasn’t fair on Mercy, because I couldn’t play with her or give her as much attention as I wanted to. Mercy deserved a mom who could really give her the time and affection she deserved. I knew that Sydney, Khloe’s assistant, who had recently lost a cat she had loved and cared for for 17 years, would be the perfect mom for Mercy and Sydney was so excited to have Mercy as her own!
Sydney gave Mercy a loving home, but after a couple of weeks Mercy got really sick and Sydney had to rush her to the vet. They discovered she had a stomach problem that we weren’t aware of. Poor little Mercy died the very next day. It broke not only my heart that little Mercy died at only four months old, but Sydney’s too.
Mercy was a gentle and loving kitten and we are all going to miss her so much. Thanks to Sydney for making Mercy’s short life one filled with love. RIP Mercy Xo