Kelly Rutherford Files For Bankruptcy After Costly Child Custody Battle: Report
1:42 pm, June 23rd, 2013
The actress reportedly claimed last month to have only $23,937 in assets with debts of $2,021,832.
As Gossip Cop previously reported, Rutherford has been fighting ex Daniel Giersch over care of their two children, with her former husband refusing to let them live with her in the United States — despite this being their country of birth.
In September, a judge ruled that the “Gossip Girl” star’s three-year-old daughter and five-year-old son would live in France with their father, who cannot enter the U.S. due to a revoked visa.
Rutherford has repeatedly vowed to fight the ruling, but the legal expenses have reportedly exceeded $1.5 million.
Despite formally asking Giersch to pay her legal fees through family court, other debts have also forced her to seek Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
Rutherford lists her monthly income as $1,279.33, down from a reported $486,000 during “Gossip Girl,” which ended last year.
The former “Melrose Place” actress also says she owes $350,000 in taxes, and $25,251 in American Express charges.
The petition also notes Rutherford has borrowed tens of thousands of dollars from relatives to try to keep her afloat, says TMZ.
Gossip Cop has reached out for confirmation.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- Super Cute: Jordin Sparks Wows in a Bikini
- Vivica Fox Comes After Brandi: Inside The Fight
- Khloe Kardashian and French Montana: Did They Confirm Their Love?
- Major Legal Drama: Why is Drake Being Sued?
- Karrueche Tran Supports Her Man Chris Brown in Court