Writer Calls Katy Perry’s Part of Me Video Marine “Propaganda,” Wants Boycott
12:08 pm, March 29th, 2012
Katy Perry’s video for “Part of Me” is meant to inspire – but the singer probably never expected calls for a boycott.
The empowerment anthem features Perry’s character getting over a broken heart by chopping off her hair and joining the U.S. Marines.
But activist and author Naomi Wolf calls it “propaganda” for the military.
On her Facebook page, Wolf wrote, “Have you all seen the Katy Perry Marines video? It is a total piece of propaganda for the Marines…I really want to find out if she was paid by them for making it…it is truly shameful.”
She continued, “I would suggest a boycott of this singer whom I really liked — if you are as offended at this glorification of violence as I am.”
A “glorification of violence” wasn’t what came to mind when Gossip Cop watched “Part of Me,” but we’re curious to hear your thoughts.
If you haven’t seen it, check out the video below.
What do you think?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- Is Robyn Ready For Her Comeback?
- The Truth Behind Lana Del Rey's New Music
- Celebs De-Stress in Distressed Jeans
- Actors Who Refuse To Work Together
- Celebs Who Are Famous Because of Their Parents