Writer Calls Katy Perry’s Part of Me Video Marine “Propaganda,” Wants Boycott
12:08 pm, March 29th, 2012
Katy Perry’s video for “Part of Me” is meant to inspire – but the singer probably never expected calls for a boycott.
The empowerment anthem features Perry’s character getting over a broken heart by chopping off her hair and joining the U.S. Marines.
But activist and author Naomi Wolf calls it “propaganda” for the military.
On her Facebook page, Wolf wrote, “Have you all seen the Katy Perry Marines video? It is a total piece of propaganda for the Marines…I really want to find out if she was paid by them for making it…it is truly shameful.”
She continued, “I would suggest a boycott of this singer whom I really liked — if you are as offended at this glorification of violence as I am.”
A “glorification of violence” wasn’t what came to mind when Gossip Cop watched “Part of Me,” but we’re curious to hear your thoughts.
If you haven’t seen it, check out the video below.
What do you think?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- The Brattiest Celebrity Kids
- NBA Star Ray Allen Is One Lucky Man
- Does Will Smith Think Jada's Style Is Whack?
- Kendall Jenner Gets A Completely New Look
- What The Frock?: Horrible Celeb Fashion Fails
- Courtney Stodden's Risque Cleavage-Bearing Mini-Dress
- 8 Aww-Inspiring Baby Photos Of Celeb Kids
- Did Beyonce & Jay-Z Chemically Process Blue Ivy's Hair?
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actress Adopts Her 'Direwolf'
- 10 Celebrity Moms Who Practice Attachment Parenting