Katy Perry: Billboard Woman of the Year
2:53 pm, December 1st, 2012PHOTOS
Katy Perry was named Billboard’s “Woman of the Year” and honored with an event in New York on Friday.
In an interview with the magazine, Perry expressed surprise with the honor, explaining, “I’d thought my year was over, that it was time to pass the baton. But I guess I get to hold onto it until the end of the year. It’s truly a lovely compliment.”
Perry’s “Teenage Dream” album was released back in 2010, but has continued to produce hits for the singer, who also released a movie and continued touring this year.
At the Billboard event, Perry declared, “I am not a feminist, but I do believe in the strength of women.”
She added, “I don’t really like to call myself a role model for my fans. I hope that I am an inspiration for them, especially young women. My mantra, especially for the ['Part Of Me'] film, was: If you believe in yourself, you can be anything.”
The magazine also honored Carly Rae Jepsen as the year’s Rising Star.
Jepsen described her breakout hit “Call Me Maybe” as “sort of the key to unlocking the rest of the world for me” and “something that none of us were expecting.”
Check out photos from the event below!
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Kim Kardashian Shares New Photo of North West
- Top 10 Picks to Play Christian Grey
- Double Date With Kanye West And Kim Kardashian
- Celebrity Tattoos: What Were They Thinking?
- Jay-Z Needs To Work On His Picture Face
- Perrie Edwards' Many Hair Colors
- Reese Witherspoon's Flirty Red Carpet Waves
- Gwyneth Paltrow Wants Kids To Have Perfect Accents
- Lil Wayne Throws Daughter An Extravagant Birthday Party
- An Unforgettable One Direction Game!