Nurse Tricked in Kate Middleton Hospital Prank Dead In Apparent Suicide
10:32 am, December 7th, 2012
The hospital nurse who answered a prank phone call from Australian radio hosts pretending to be the Queen of England and Prince Charles inquiring about Kate Middleton’s condition has been found dead in an apparent suicide.
Jacintha Saldanha was found unconscious and later pronounced dead in London on Friday morning, just a few days after she mistakenly put another nurse on the phone with the 2Day FM disc jockeys who committed the hoax.
Saldanha, a four-year member of the nursing staff, leaves behind a husband and two children.
In a statement, King Edward VII’s Hospital chief executive John Lofthouse confirmed the nurse’s passing, and said, ”Our thoughts and deepest sympathies at this time are with her family and friends.”
“Everyone is shocked by the loss of a much loved and valued colleague,” he added.
St. James Palace also released a statement on behalf of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, saying the royals are “deeply saddened to learn of the death of Jacintha Saldanha.”
“Their Royal Highnesses were looked after so wonderfully well at all times by everybody at King Edward VII Hospital, and their thoughts and prayers are with Jacintha Saldanha’s family, friends and colleagues at this very sad time,” the statement read.
The Palace also noted that no complaints were filed against the nurse over the prank, saying, “On the contrary we offered our full and heartfelt support to the nurses involved and hospital staff at all times.”
It is not known whether Middleton and Saldanha had any interaction during the princess’ hospital stay, but the Palace acknowledged “it was very possible given the [small] size” of the facility.
Following the mix-up on Tuesday, a King Edward VII’s Hospital rep said the staff “deeply regrets this incident,” and radio station apologized “for any inconvenience caused by the inquiry.”
Gossip Cop will have updates.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter.
Like us on Facebook.
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- 11 Celebrities That Have Signed Up To Go To Space
- 21 Celebrity Couples Who Met On Set
- Who Knew Kristen Stewart and Kim Kardashian Had Similar Tastes?
- Gigi Hadid Heats Up Boyfriend Cody Simpson's New Music Video
- The New Kesha: Happy Healthy and Crazy Haired