UPDATE: “The Karate Kid” Kicks Box Office Competition
9:50 am, June 13th, 2010BOX OFFICE
UPDATE – 6/13/10
The Karate Kid did even better than expected, doubling the box office take of The A-Team.
Kid looks to have made $56 million compared to A-Team‘s $27 million.
As expected, Shrek Forever After lost its top spot after three weeks in first place with an estimated $16 million in tickets sales.
Next was Get Him to the Greek, which earned $10 million in its second week.
In a battle of 1980s retreads, The Karate Kid chopped down The A-Team.
Early projections put the martial arts reboot, starring Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan, at about $52 million for the weekend, snatching the box office crown from Shrek Forever After following the lovable ogre’s three straight victories.
The Karate Kid debuted to $18 million on Friday, according to estimates.
As of now, what was expected to be a close race between two new releases is an easy romp for the Kid.
Shrek fell to third with an estimated $17 million take, while holdovers Get Him To The Greek ($9.5 million) and Killers ($8 million) round out the top 5.
Gossip Cop will have more refined numbers as the weekend progresses.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter for accurate celebrity news!
Check us out on Facebook!
Visit GossipCop.com for the latest!
You might like:
- The Worst Celebrity Tattoos Ever
- Amanda Bynes' Scary and Strange Twitter Photos
- 25 Old Famous Celebrity Couples We Forgot Existed
- CBS CEO Takes Shot At TODAY Show Troubles
- Reese Witherspoon Goes Back to Her Signature Look
- 24 Celebrities You Didn't Know Were Related
- Tyra Banks Without Make-up: Still Think She's Hot?
- Black Celebrities Who Have Turned White
- 15 Of The Longest Lasting Hollywood Marriages
- How Many Languages Does Gwyneth Paltrow Speak?