Kanye West & Jay-Z Sued for Allegedly Sampling Soul Singer’s Music [LISTEN]
4:05 pm, October 17th, 2011
Johnson claims in court papers filed in Illinois Federal Court that West and Jay-Z took a portion of his 1967 tune “Different Strokes,” without compensation or credit, for their song “The Joy,” featured on their album “Watch the Throne.”
Johnson contends West had initially sought to sample “The Joy” for his album “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy,” but it never worked out, and then misappropriated it for his collaboration with Jay-Z.
The soul and blues musician is no stranger to suing other artists for allegedly taking his compositions. Among those who have been caught in his legal crosshairs are Wu Tang Clan and Kid Rock, who eventually had to cough up cash to Johnson.
Below are Jay-Z and West’s “The Joy” and Johnson’s “Different Strokes.”
Listen and let us know what you think.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Does Will Smith Think Jada's Style Is Whack?
- 6 Magazine Cover Hairstyles You Can Easily Recreate
- Child Stars Turned Child Brides
- Tom Cruise Says He Never 'Abandoned' Suri
- 9 Reasons Solange's Son Is Hollywood's Coolest Kid
- 35 Of Hollywood's Hottest Moms
- Which Celebrity Likes To Eat Crickets?
- The Jessica Alba Long Wavy Bob Tutorial
- 30 Child Actors Who Died Young
- Brad Pitt: Sexy But Smelly?