Kanye West & Jay-Z Sued for Allegedly Sampling Soul Singer’s Music [LISTEN]
4:05 pm, October 17th, 2011
Johnson claims in court papers filed in Illinois Federal Court that West and Jay-Z took a portion of his 1967 tune “Different Strokes,” without compensation or credit, for their song “The Joy,” featured on their album “Watch the Throne.”
Johnson contends West had initially sought to sample “The Joy” for his album “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy,” but it never worked out, and then misappropriated it for his collaboration with Jay-Z.
The soul and blues musician is no stranger to suing other artists for allegedly taking his compositions. Among those who have been caught in his legal crosshairs are Wu Tang Clan and Kid Rock, who eventually had to cough up cash to Johnson.
Below are Jay-Z and West’s “The Joy” and Johnson’s “Different Strokes.”
Listen and let us know what you think.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Beyonce Turns a Blind Eye: Is Her Little Brother Homeless?
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- 10 Best Celebrity Quotes About Being Pregnant
- Celebs Confess How They Honestly Felt Being Pregnant
- Super Geeky Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hotties
- Does Ian Somerhalder Have a New Girlfriend?