Justin Bieber Charged With Assault in Toronto, Lawyer Says Singer Is “Innocent”
The pop star surrendered to authorities in Toronto on Wednesday evening, entering the police station amid a swarm of media, paparazzi, and fans (see photo right and video below).
In a statement furnished to Gossip Cop, a lawyer for Bieber says, “The Toronto Police Service requested that Justin Bieber appear in Toronto today to face an allegation of assault relating to an incident on December 29, 2013.”
“We anticipate that this matter will be treated as a summary offense, the equivalent of a misdemeanor in the United States,” notes the attorney.
Bieber’s lawyer concludes, “Our position is that Mr. Bieber is innocent. As the matter is now before the Court, it would be inappropriate to address the specifics of either the allegation or of our defense at this time.”
According to a release from the Toronto Police Service, it’s alleged that on December 30 at approximately 2:50 a.m., a “limousine picked up a group of six people outside a nightclub in the Peter Street and Adelaide Street West area, [and] while driving the group to a hotel, an altercation occurred between one of the passengers and the driver of the limousine.”
“In the course of the altercation, a man struck the limousine driver on the back of the head several times [and] the driver stopped the limousine, exited the vehicle and called police,” says the release. “The man who struck him left the scene before police arrived.”
The singer is due back in court on March 10.
The investigation reportedly began to focus on Bieber after police spoke with witnesses of the December incident.
Check out video of Beiber’s arrival below.
Bieber, meanwhile, has a court date in Miami on February 14 in connection with his DUI arrest there last week.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!