Judy Blume Is Battling Breast Cancer
11:33 am, September 5th, 2012
Judy Blume is battling breast cancer.
The beloved author, 74, made the announcement in a lengthy blog post on Wednesday, revealing that she recently underwent a mastectomy.
Blume, who was diagnosed in June with an invasive ductal carcinoma after a “routine ultrasound” led to a biopsy, said the news caught her by surprise.
She writes, “There’s no breast cancer in my family (recent extensive genetic testing shows no genetic connection). I haven’t eaten red meat in more than 30 years. I’ve never smoked, I exercise every day, forget alcohol – it’s bad for my reflux – I’ve been the same weight my whole adult life.”
“How is this possible?” Blume asks. “Well, guess what – it’s possible.”
After the news sunk in, the novelist said she had to focus on “some of the hardest decisions I’ve ever had to make.”
Blume — who is also a cervical cancer survivor — opted against radiation, and instead made “the decision to have mastectomy and reconstruction,” which led to “a sense of relief.”
The surgery took place on July 30, and Blume says she “got off easy,” particularly since she doesn’t need chemotherapy.
“Now it’s one month post surgery… ” she writes, “and [am] feeling stronger every day.”
Blume adds, “As I’ve told my friends who’ve also been treated for breast cancer, I’ve joined The Club – not one I wanted to join or even thought I would ever be joining – but here I am.”
You can read Blume’s full post here.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Beyonce Accidentally Posts Pic Of Her Old Nose
- 30 Scientologists You'll Probably Recognize
- Is Blake Lively Trying To Revive Her Career?
- Kelly Rowland Addresses Engagement Rumors
- Gisele Bundchen's Glam Breastfeeding Photo
- Kourtney Kardashian & Scott Disick's Crazy College Party
- Did Kendall Jenner Have Plastic Surgery?
- Where Did Jim Carrey Get His Comedic Roots?
- Leonor Varela's Edgy Hairstyle
- 30 Child Actors Who Died Young