Olympic Gold Favorite Jordyn Wieber Fails to Qualify for All-Around Gymnastics Final
5:04 pm, July 29th, 2012
Jordyn Wieber, who was considered a favorite for Olympic gold in the women’s gymnastics all-around, left in tears on Sunday.
The current world and national champ didn’t earn a spot in Thursday’s finals, after falling short — on the vault, balance beam, bars and floor exercises – to USA teammates Aly Raisman and Gabby Douglas.
Wieber wasn’t the only one shocked by the outcome.
“I was really surprised, and I feel awful because she wanted it so bad,” said Raisman, noting her closest friend “should still feel proud because she’s an Olympian. We have to stay calm and focused on team finals.”
National team coordinator, Marta Karolyi, also felt bad for the one-time gold favorite.
“I would be very disappointed, too. She is reigning world champion, also US champion,” she said, adding, “Today she wasn’t quite as sharp. She was very good but not quite as sharp and the other two girls surpassed her. So we will give her all the support. I think she gave a very nice effort, no major errors. What can you do? Sport is sport.”
And though Wiener left the arena sobbing, it seems she’s now focused on Tuesday’s team final.
Later on Sunday she tweeted, “Thank you all for your love and support. I am so proud of our team today and I can’t wait for team finals!!”
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Black Celebrities Who Have Turned White
- Scandalous Dancing With the Stars' Hookups
- Rihanna Goes Floral From Head To Toe
- Amanda Bynes Calls Sarah Hyland 'Ugly'
- You Won't Believe What Topanga Looks Like Now
- Remember Lisa Turtle? Wait Til You See Her Now!
- The Real Reason Kim Won't Marry Kanye
- 25 Old Famous Celebrity Couples We Forgot Existed
- 10 Most Shocking And Disturbing Celebrity Couples
- 3 Reasons Blue Ivy Is Suspicious