Johnny Depp Honored for Movie Makeup, Jokes “Why Do They Still Give Me Jobs?”
11:05 am, February 16th, 2014
Johnny Depp was honored at Saturday’s Makeup Artists and Hairstylists Awards, where he explained why his movie roles so often involve major transformations.
From Edward Scissorhands and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to Alice in Wonderland and The Lone Ranger, the actor reflected on his history of going undercover as he received the first-ever Distinguished Artisan Award.
“This is a great honor, but glancing up at the screen I realize what a ridiculous thing I’ve done,” Depp joked to the crowd. “I mean seriously, why do they still give me jobs?”
He went on to quip, “I’ve done a lot of things… I should probably apologize for a few, but I won’t.”
Depp credited a molding of his face for his film debut in A Nightmare on Elm Street for leading to the realization that “oddly, that I liked being encased in all of that stuff.”
“I like being isolated to that degree. So the idea of being shocked beyond recognition, it’s kind of what I want. It’s what I strive for,” said the star.
He added, ”I think trying something different each time as an actor, with the luxury [of having] amazing makeup artists, has made my, whatever you call it, career.”
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- Celebs Confess How They Honestly Felt Being Pregnant
- Highlights of Joe and Teresa Giudice's Plea Deals Revealed
- Kim Kardashian: Airline Passenger Screamed Racist Obscenities at Me
- Why Reality TV Might Cost Kanye His Best Man Jay Z
- What 'Teen Mom' Star Just Bought a House?