Johnny Depp is Not Dead
1:07 pm, January 24th, 2010
Johnny Depp is not dead.
Despite another disgusting (and recycled) death hoax to which we’d rather not link, the actor is alive and well.
These Internet-fueled rumors are nothing new, as Gossip Cop visitors know. In recent months, fans of Stephenie Meyer, Kanye West, Zach Braff, Matt Damon, and many others have been alarmed after seeing fabricated headlines purporting death.
Often it’s been a case of a new name being plugged into old, wrong circumstances. Natalie Portman, George Clooney, and Jeff Goldblum all supposedly “died” in the exact same New Zealand accident.
Sometimes it’s less a hoax than an instance of astonishingly irresponsible blogging.
But whatever the origins, once these reprehensible rumors go online, it doesn’t take long for misinformation to be spread worldwide, causing anxiety among fans and horror for friends and family.
Johnny Depp is alive.
He was not in a fatal car crash, as hoaxers borrowing a faked CNN story from 2004 would have you believe.
As we write, “RIP Johnny Depp” is trending on Twitter. As incredibly vital as tools like Twitter are in connecting people when needed (like when real catastrophe struck in Haiti), they can also be disturbingly efficient vehicles for misinformation when it comes to hoaxes like this.
The actor’s fans have bombarded Gossip Cop with questions about his well being.
Thankfully, he is well.
Help spread the word… and the truth.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter for accurate celebrity news.
You might like:
- Does Will Smith Think Jada's Style Is Whack?
- The Brattiest Celebrity Kids
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actress Adopts Her 'Direwolf'
- Courtney Stodden's Risque Cleavage-Bearing Mini-Dress
- Did Beyonce & Jay-Z Chemically Process Blue Ivy's Hair?
- What The Frock?: Horrible Celeb Fashion Fails
- Kendall Jenner Gets A Completely New Look
- 10 Celebrity Moms Who Practice Attachment Parenting
- NBA Star Ray Allen Is One Lucky Man
- The Most Educated Rappers In The Game