John Wooden Dead at 99
10:28 pm, June 4th, 2010
John Wooden, legendary college basketball coach and sports icon, is dead.
He was 99.
ESPN named Wooden the greatest coach of the 20th century — in any sport.
Known as “The Wizard of Westwood,” he guided UCLA to an unprecedented 10 NCAA titles in his final 12 seasons, including seven consecutive championships from 1967 to 1973.
Wooden was equally famous as a role model whose lessons about basketball were applicable to life.
The first person ever enshrined in the Basketball Hall of Fame as both a player and coach, Wooden received the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2003.
Every year, the nation’s most outstanding player receives the John R. Wooden Award, basketball’s equivalent of the Heisman Trophy.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter for accurate celebrity news!
Check us out on Facebook!
Visit GossipCop.com for the latest!
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- Super Cute: Jordin Sparks Wows in a Bikini
- Vivica Fox Comes After Brandi: Inside The Fight
- Khloe Kardashian and French Montana: Did They Confirm Their Love?
- Major Legal Drama: Why is Drake Being Sued?
- Karrueche Tran Supports Her Man Chris Brown in Court