John Wooden Dead at 99
10:28 pm, June 4th, 2010
John Wooden, legendary college basketball coach and sports icon, is dead.
He was 99.
ESPN named Wooden the greatest coach of the 20th century — in any sport.
Known as “The Wizard of Westwood,” he guided UCLA to an unprecedented 10 NCAA titles in his final 12 seasons, including seven consecutive championships from 1967 to 1973.
Wooden was equally famous as a role model whose lessons about basketball were applicable to life.
The first person ever enshrined in the Basketball Hall of Fame as both a player and coach, Wooden received the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2003.
Every year, the nation’s most outstanding player receives the John R. Wooden Award, basketball’s equivalent of the Heisman Trophy.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter for accurate celebrity news!
Check us out on Facebook!
Visit GossipCop.com for the latest!
You might like:
- Scandalous Dancing With the Stars' Hookups
- Kendall Jenner Admits Being A Kardashian Ruined Her Childhood
- 3 Reasons Blue Ivy Is Suspicious
- Austin Mahone Breaking More Hearts Than Bieber
- Most Shocking Celeb Social Media Confessions
- Which Celebs Are Barely Recognizable Without Makeup?
- Miley Severed Justin & Selena's Relationship
- Farrah Abraham's New Face And Boobs
- Could This Be Kim K.'s Biggest Fashion Fail Yet?
- Black Celebrities Who Have Turned White