John Wooden Dead at 99
10:28 pm, June 4th, 2010
John Wooden, legendary college basketball coach and sports icon, is dead.
He was 99.
ESPN named Wooden the greatest coach of the 20th century — in any sport.
Known as “The Wizard of Westwood,” he guided UCLA to an unprecedented 10 NCAA titles in his final 12 seasons, including seven consecutive championships from 1967 to 1973.
Wooden was equally famous as a role model whose lessons about basketball were applicable to life.
The first person ever enshrined in the Basketball Hall of Fame as both a player and coach, Wooden received the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2003.
Every year, the nation’s most outstanding player receives the John R. Wooden Award, basketball’s equivalent of the Heisman Trophy.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter for accurate celebrity news!
Check us out on Facebook!
Visit GossipCop.com for the latest!
You might like:
- You Don't Like Gwyneth Paltrow? She Doesn't Care!
- Kris Humphries Auctions Off Kim Kardashian's Ring
- North West, Is That You? Khloe Kardashian Posts A Picture
- 35 Of Hollywood's Hottest Moms
- Sasha Obama's Sweater Starts Fashion Frenzy
- A$AP Rocky Drop "Fashion Killa" Video Starring Rihanna
- The Best Celebrity Hairstyles
- 7 Of Katy Perry's Unforgettable And Wildest Latex Looks
- Macaulay Culkin Steps Out With New Girlfriend
- Is Lady GaGa After Miley Cyrus' Management?