Joaquin Phoenix: Oscars Are “Bullsh*t”
3:27 pm, October 18th, 2012
Joaquin Phoenix is not such a fan of the Academy Awards.
The actor, whose performance in The Master has led to early Oscars buzz, calls the honors “bulls**t” in the new Interview magazine.
Asked about what he’s going to do when his new movie hits the “awards circuit,” Phoenix replies, ”I think it’s bulls**t,” says Phoenix. “I think it’s total, utter bulls**t, and I don’t want to be a part of it. I don’t believe in it.”
He explains, “It’s a carrot, but it’s the worst-tasting carrot I’ve ever tasted in my whole life. I don’t want this carrot. It’s totally subjective. Pitting people against each other… It’s the stupidest thing in the whole world.”
Phoenix was nominated in the Best Actor category for 2005′s Walk the Line.
It was not fun.
“It was one of the most uncomfortable periods in my life when Walk the Line was going through all the awards stuff and all that,” says the actor. “I never want to have that experience again.
He continues, “I don’t know how to explain it — and it’s not like I’m in this place where I think I’m just above it — but I just don’t ever want to get comfortable with that part of things.”
What do you think about Phoenix’s thoughts on the Oscars?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Exes Kate Moss & Johnny Depp Are Reuniting
- Lady Gaga Debuts Flying Dress
- Lil Wayne Throws Daughter An Extravagant Birthday Party
- Silicone Sorrows & Botox Blues: Regrettable Celeb Surgeries
- Tyrese's Heartbreaking Tribute To Paul Walker
- John Mayer & Katy Perry's Romantic Photoshoot
- Melissa Joan Hart Disses and Dishes on Famous Dudes She's Kissed
- 32 Celeb Moms We Have Serious Crushes On
- Rajon Rondo Goes Chinese
- Westboro Baptist Church's Sickening Paul Walker Funeral Plan