Joaquin Phoenix: Oscars Are “Bullsh*t”
3:27 pm, October 18th, 2012
Joaquin Phoenix is not such a fan of the Academy Awards.
The actor, whose performance in The Master has led to early Oscars buzz, calls the honors “bulls**t” in the new Interview magazine.
Asked about what he’s going to do when his new movie hits the “awards circuit,” Phoenix replies, ”I think it’s bulls**t,” says Phoenix. “I think it’s total, utter bulls**t, and I don’t want to be a part of it. I don’t believe in it.”
He explains, “It’s a carrot, but it’s the worst-tasting carrot I’ve ever tasted in my whole life. I don’t want this carrot. It’s totally subjective. Pitting people against each other… It’s the stupidest thing in the whole world.”
Phoenix was nominated in the Best Actor category for 2005′s Walk the Line.
It was not fun.
“It was one of the most uncomfortable periods in my life when Walk the Line was going through all the awards stuff and all that,” says the actor. “I never want to have that experience again.
He continues, “I don’t know how to explain it — and it’s not like I’m in this place where I think I’m just above it — but I just don’t ever want to get comfortable with that part of things.”
What do you think about Phoenix’s thoughts on the Oscars?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- You Won't Believe What Topanga Looks Like Now
- 9 Biggest Stunts Kim and Kanye Have Pulled
- Human Barbie Discusses Her Unique Look
- Mommy Makeover: Teen Mom Catelynn's Slim Down
- 54 Year Old Madonna No Longer Intriguing
- Could This Be Kim K.'s Biggest Fashion Fail Yet?
- Kendall Jenner Admits Being A Kardashian Ruined Her Childhood
- Can You Believe Kim Kardashian Was This Thin?
- The Drew Carey Show: What Ever Happened to Mimi?
- Black Celebrities Who Have Turned White