Jennifer Lawrence: “Screw PETA”
4:24 pm, April 10th, 2012
The animal rights organization slammed The Hunger Games star on Tuesday after she made light of a graphic scene in Winter’s Bone during which she skins a squirrel.
Lawrence told Rolling Stone of the clip, “I should say it wasn’t real, for PETA. But screw PETA.”
Needless to say, PETA was none too happy with her remark.
The organization’s president Ingrid Newkirk said in a statement Tuesday morning, “She’s young and the plight of animals somehow hasn’t yet touched her heart. As Henry David Thoreau said, ‘The squirrel you kill in jest, dies in earnest.’”
Newkirk continued, “When people kill animals, it is the animals who are ‘screwed,’ not PETA, and one day I hope she will try to make up for any pain she might cause any animal who did nothing but try to eke out a humble existence in nature.”
PETA has since toned down its response to Lawrence, telling Gossip Cop on Tuesday afternoon, “That was just a throw-away remark, and we have our bet on Jennifer ending up joining the ranks of other young celebrities like Natalie Portman, Lea Michele, and Kellan Lutz, who are using their influence to help animals.”
What do you think about Lawrence’s comment, and the way PETA responded?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- The Most Educated Rappers In The Game
- The Brattiest Celebrity Kids
- Kendall Jenner Gets A Completely New Look
- 8 Aww-Inspiring Baby Photos Of Celeb Kids
- What The Frock?: Horrible Celeb Fashion Fails
- Does Will Smith Think Jada's Style Is Whack?
- Renee Zellweger Looks Hardly Recognizable
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actress Adopts Her 'Direwolf'
- Courtney Stodden's Risque Cleavage-Bearing Mini-Dress
- 10 Celebrity Moms Who Practice Attachment Parenting