JC Penney: We Stand Behind Ellen DeGeneres Partnership
6:06 pm, February 4th, 2012
Earlier this week, OneMillionMoms.com, a project of the American Family Association, declared that “hiring an open homosexual” like DeGeneres was a poor business decision that would “turn away potential new, conservative shoppers.”
According to the group, DeGeneres is “not a true representation of the type of families” that go to JC Penney.
But the retail giant is not swayed by the moms’ pressure.
JC Penney has released a statement announcing that it “stands behind its partnership with Ellen DeGeneres.”
The decision was applauded by the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), which had jumped to DeGeneres’ defense and collected more than 26,000 signatures for an online petition to protect her job.
“This week Americans spoke out in overwhelming support of LGBT people and JC Penney’s decision not to fire Ellen simply for who she happens to love,” said the group in its own statement.
DeGeneres, who came out of the closet in 1997, married Portia de Rossi in 2008.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- 11 Celebrities That Have Signed Up To Go To Space
- 21 Celebrity Couples Who Met On Set
- Who Knew Kristen Stewart and Kim Kardashian Had Similar Tastes?
- Gigi Hadid Heats Up Boyfriend Cody Simpson's New Music Video
- The New Kesha: Happy Healthy and Crazy Haired