Janeane Garofalo: I Was Married For 20 Years Without Knowing It
12:34 pm, November 13th, 2012
Janeane Garofalo just made an interesting discovery — she’s been married for the last 20 years.
The comedian and actress explained the situation at a New York Comedy Festival reunion for “The Ben Stiller Show” over the weekend.
It seems Garofalo and Rob Cohen, a writer on the show, got drunk and hitched in Las Vegas as a goof in the early 1990s, not realizing the marriage was legal.
With Cohen about to tie the knot with another woman, his earlier marriage was unearthed, and he and Garafalo were forced to end it officially.
“Rob and I got married, for real, which we had to have a notary dissolve not 30 minutes before we got here tonight,” the New York Post quotes Garofalo as telling the Comedy Festival crowd on Saturday. “We were married for 20 years until this evening.”
She explained, “We got married drunk in Vegas . . . We dated for a year, and we got married at a drive-through chapel in a cab. [We thought] you have to go down to the courthouse and sign papers and stuff, so who knew? We were married, and apparently now that [Rob] is getting married for real, his lawyer dug up something.”
While the just-divorced couple may have been married for two decades, it seems their romance was never really built for the long haul.
Garofalo said of their dating days, “I’m sure I was terrible,” to which Cohen replied, “I will confirm that.”
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- You Won't Believe Nicky Minaj's Natural Hair
- Are These Love Birds Back Together?
- Black Celebrities Who Have Turned White
- Selena At Bieber's House For Hookup?
- 15 Of The Longest Lasting Hollywood Marriages
- 24 Celebrities You Didn't Know Were Related
- Can You Believe Kim Kardashian Was This Thin?
- Celebrities With Their Moms
- The Worst Celebrity Tattoos Ever
- Remember Lisa Turtle? Wait Til You See Her Now!