Police: James Holmes Shot 71 People in Total; “The Joker” Report Not Confirmed
2:45 pm, July 20th, 2012
James Holmes, the man suspected of killing 12 people in a senseless shooting spree at a Colorado movie theater showing The Dark Knight Rises on Friday morning, is believed to have acted alone, and authorities are not prepared to comment on his motive.
In their first press conference on the matter, Colorado law enforcement officials said 71 people were shot in total, with some of the 59 injured individuals in critical condition.
There have been widely spread UNCONFIRMED reports that Holmes had painted his hair red and told police he was “The Joker,” referring to the iconic Batman villain.
New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly is said to have revealed “The Joker” details to reporters in his own discussion of the matter earlier Friday.
But Colorado authorities would NOT confirm Kelly’s remarks about a Batman angle to the crime, instead only confirming that Holmes was dressed in all black, with a ballistic helmet and additional protective gear, as well as a gas mask.
He was found with three weapons — an assault rifle, shotgun and handgun — and used at least two devices that released smoke to distract and act as a crowd irritant.
His residence is booby-trapped with additional incendiary devices.
Holmes, a former university student, had no prior record except for a speeding ticket.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Kim Kardashian Shares New Photo of North West
- What The Frock?: Horrible Celeb Fashion Fails
- 6 Magazine Cover Hairstyles You Can Easily Recreate
- Selena Gomez's Hairstyle Evolution
- Reese Witherspoon's Flirty Red Carpet Waves
- 35 Of Hollywood's Hottest Moms
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actress Adopts Her 'Direwolf'
- Why Did Chris Brown Leave Rehab Already?
- Tom Cruise Says He Never 'Abandoned' Suri
- Sandra Bullock Already Has Son Potty Trained