Professor Claims He Was Fired for Giving James Franco a Bad Grade
9:51 am, December 19th, 2011
A former professor claims New York University fired him for giving James Franco a bad grade.
Jose Angel Santana is suing the school for dismissing him after he handed the actor a “D” for missing 12 of his 14 “Directing the Actor II” classes as part of Franco’s course of study for a master’s in fine arts degree.
According to Santana, Franco blew off other classes, too, but was accommodated by other professors and given good grades because of his celebrity status.
Santana alleges that NYU’s graduate film department created numerous conflicts of interest with Franco, citing the star’s hiring of another professor, Jay Anania, to write and direct a movie starring Franco, and department chairman John Tintori making a cameo in a film Franco helped finance.
“The school has bent over backwards to create a Franco-friendly environment,” Santana tells the New York Post. “The university has done everything in its power to curry favor with James Franco.”
A rep for NYU calls the claims “ridiculous,” adding, “It is regrettable and disappointing to see a faculty member—former or otherwise—discuss any student’s grade for the purpose of personal publicity.”
Gossip Cop has reached out to Franco’s rep for comment.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- Is Robyn Ready For Her Comeback?
- The Truth Behind Lana Del Rey's New Music
- Celebs De-Stress in Distressed Jeans
- Actors Who Refuse To Work Together
- Celebs Who Are Famous Because of Their Parents