Ja Rule Sentenced to More Than 2 Years in Federal Prison
2:40 pm, July 18th, 2011
Ja Rule was sentenced to 28 months in federal prison today for failing to pay his taxes.
The rapper-actor, whose real name is Jeffrey Atkins, admitted earlier this year that he avoided taxes on more than $3 million earned between 2004 and 2006.
“I in no way attempted to deceive the government or do anything illegal,” Rule said immediately before being sentenced.
“I was a young man who made a lot of money – I’m getting a little choked up – I didn’t know how to deal with these finances, and I didn’t have people to guide me, so I made mistakes.”
Last month, Rule was sentenced to state prison in New York on separate criminal weapon possession charges.
It’s been determined that most of his new 28-month sentence can be served concurrently with the state incarceration.
In addition to time behind bars, he’s been ordered to pay $1.1 million in taxes.
His wife of 10 years, Aisha Atkins, was in the courtroom for today’s events.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- The Drama Continues With Pauly D's Baby Mama!
- The Most Educated Rappers In The Game
- Celebrity Tattoos: What Were They Thinking?
- Brody Jenner Probably Not Invited To Kim's Wedding?
- Beyonce Spoke To Blue Ivy While Giving Birth?
- Tom Cruise Says He Never 'Abandoned' Suri
- 10 Celebrity Moms Who Practice Attachment Parenting
- Miley Cyrus Is Apparently Barack Obama's Fault Now
- Drake Pulls Out All The Stops For Rihanna
- Memory Lane: Kim Kardashian Through The Years