Hugh Grant Settles Phone Hacking Claim
4:32 pm, December 21st, 2012
Hugh Grant has settled his phone hacking claim against News International for an undisclosed amount, all of which the actor plans to donate to his Hacked Off campaign for press reform.
On Friday, an attorney for the star announced, “Hugh Grant has today settled his claims for damages and other legal remedies arising out of the unlawful activities of News of the World journalists and others over a number of years.”
The sum was described as “substantial,” and Grant instructed his camp “to donate all of his damages plus an additional payment from him to the Hacked Off Campaign for a free and accountable media.”
Grant was one of 178 individuals suing the media giant in a second wave of litigation stemming from the hacking scandal that enveloped the British press in 2010 and 2011, centered around the since-closed News of the World.
The newspaper, owned by Rupert Murdoch, had been found to have hacked the phones of celebrities and non-celebrities alike over the course of many years.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Did Kim Kardashian Wax Her Babies Eyebrows?
- Celebrity Breakups: Who Called it Quits in 2013?
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Jackie Cruz Defends Latinas Everywhere
- Shakira Opens Up About Her Possessive Man
- Juan Pablo Catches Major Heat
- Ricky Martin Fights Back Against Violence
- 15 Celebrities You Didn't Were Realted