Here Comes Honey Boo Boo Controversy: Trash or Triumph? (VIDEO)
6:37 pm, August 11th, 2012VIDEO
This week, America was re-introduced to 6-year-old “Toddlers & Tiaras” pageant contestant and “special juice” enthusiast Alana Thompson — better known as Honey Boo Boo — in the new TLC spin-off “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.”
The show, which documents daily life in rural Georgia for Thompson and her family (including mom June, dad Sugar Bear, and sisters nicknamed Pumpkin, Chubbs and Chickadee) has drawn high ratings and a lot of criticism.
Some observers believe the series represents flat-out exploitation of so-called “white trash” tendencies, with a little girl and her underage siblings being played for laughs and little else.
Others have offered the case that the Thompsons are merely taking advantage of the opportunities given to them, in a manner no different than the Kardashians or other more “glamorous” families.
Then again, it could also be argued that the “Toddlers & Tiaras” culture from which “Honey Boo Boo” comes does more harm than good to its “stars,” unlike, say, “Jersey Shore,” which celebrates questionable behavior — but among adults who were going to be partying regardless of whether they were on MTV.
What do you think about “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo”?
Is it shameful and exploitative or just a guilty pleasure peek into lives typically hidden from TV?
Check out the full premiere below!
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- Highlights of Joe and Teresa Giudice's Plea Deals Revealed
- Kim Kardashian: Airline Passenger Screamed Racist Obscenities at Me
- Why Reality TV Might Cost Kanye His Best Man Jay Z
- What 'Teen Mom' Star Just Bought a House?
- Khloe Kardashian Throws a Fit Over Joan Rivers' Prank