‘Harry Potter’ Hits $1 Billion Worldwide
5:25 pm, July 31st, 2011
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 passed $1 billion at the worldwide box office on Sunday, a first for history’s most successful film franchise.
2001′s original, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, came closest to the milestone, with a final tally of $974.8 million. Adjusted for inflation, it’s still the record-holder.
The eighth and final Potter movie has now earned $318 million in North America and $690 million overseas, passing The Dark Knight for 8th on the all-time worldwide box office chart and passing Transformers: Dark of the Moon to become the year’s second-highest grossing movie.
It should wind up topping 2011′s Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, which is currently at $1.033 billion worldwide.
Despite its incredible success, Deathly Hallows will need serious magic to become history’s all-time champ.
That title still goes to Avatar, which earned a staggering $2.78 billion across all markets two years ago.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Does Will Smith Think Jada's Style Is Whack?
- Reese Witherspoon's Flirty Red Carpet Waves
- Lil Wayne Throws Daughter An Extravagant Birthday Party
- Double Date With Kanye West And Kim Kardashian
- A Cute Daddy Daughter Moment Courtesy Of Jay Z
- Lorde's Royally Cute Music Video Look
- Who's Ashanti's New NFL Baller Boyfriend?
- The Ultimate Guide To Taylor Swifts Celebrity Feuds
- 66 Celebrities Whose Real Names Might Surprise You
- What Makes Katy Perry A Biohazard In Australia?