‘Harry Potter’ Hits $1 Billion Worldwide
5:25 pm, July 31st, 2011
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 passed $1 billion at the worldwide box office on Sunday, a first for history’s most successful film franchise.
2001′s original, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, came closest to the milestone, with a final tally of $974.8 million. Adjusted for inflation, it’s still the record-holder.
The eighth and final Potter movie has now earned $318 million in North America and $690 million overseas, passing The Dark Knight for 8th on the all-time worldwide box office chart and passing Transformers: Dark of the Moon to become the year’s second-highest grossing movie.
It should wind up topping 2011′s Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, which is currently at $1.033 billion worldwide.
Despite its incredible success, Deathly Hallows will need serious magic to become history’s all-time champ.
That title still goes to Avatar, which earned a staggering $2.78 billion across all markets two years ago.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- The Drew Carey Show: What Ever Happened to Mimi?
- Human Barbie Discusses Her Unique Look
- Could This Be Kim K.'s Biggest Fashion Fail Yet?
- Vinny Guadagnino: My Mom Is a Star
- Mommy Makeover: Teen Mom Catelynn's Slim Down
- Can You Believe Kim Kardashian Was This Thin?
- Amanda Bynes' Scary and Strange Twitter Photos
- Cher's Style Transformation
- Are These Love Birds Back Together?
- The Real Reason For Denise Richards' Scary Skinny Frame