Halle Berry Testifies for Anti-Paparazzi Bill: Daughter Nahla Worries They Will “Kill Us”
7:28 pm, June 25th, 2013
Halle Berry testified in front of California legislators on Tuesday about the traumatic and dangerous impact of paparazzi who trail the every move of celebrities.
The actress, who has been vocal in the past when photographers have gotten too close to her and her daughter Nahla, was speaking before the Assembly Committee on Public Safety in favor of a new bill that would limit paparazzi when it comes to photographing the children of stars and other public figures.
“My daughter doesn’t want to go to school because she knows ‘the men’ are watching for her,” Berry reportedly testified, noting, “They jump out of the bushes and from behind cars and who knows where else, besieging these children just to get a photo.”
The pregnant Oscar winner said she was speaking as a “mother of a daughter and the baby boy in my belly,” referring to the baby she will welcome this fall with fiancé Olivier Martinez.
Berry went on to recall being terrifyingly swarmed by paparazzi in April when she, Martinez, and Nahla arrived at LAX airport after a family vacation in Hawaii, and accused the photogs of trying to goad them into a physical incident.
“They were trying to start a fight with my fiancé because if they get a photo of that it’s more money,” testified the movie star.
She added that Nahla even asked, ”Mommy, are they going to kill us?”
“She didn’t get to sleep until 3 a.m. because she can’t get this out of her mind,” said Berry, “and she doesn’t understand what just happened to her.”
The bill — which is facing opposition from news and movie organizations, as well as First Amendment advocates — has now been passed on to the Assembly Judiciary Committee, according to CBS News.
What do you think of Berry advocating for the anti-harassment bill?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- Highlights of Joe and Teresa Giudice's Plea Deals Revealed
- Kim Kardashian: Airline Passenger Screamed Racist Obscenities at Me
- Why Reality TV Might Cost Kanye His Best Man Jay Z
- What 'Teen Mom' Star Just Bought a House?
- Khloe Kardashian Throws a Fit Over Joan Rivers' Prank