Gwyneth Paltrow Trouble with Goop No Big Whoop
3:26 pm, December 18th, 2009
Could Gwyneth Paltrow‘s recent vacation land her in hot water?
What’s Paltrow’s alleged offense? Her recent praise of the La Mamounia Hotel in Marrakech, Morocco after a Thanksgiving visit. On her lifestyle site Goop, Paltrow wrote glowingly of the hotel’s luxurious features, including its gardens, designed interiors, spa treatments, and dining options.
The FTC published new guidelines last month under which a celebrity who endorses a product or service “has to disclose any ‘material connection’ to the provider,” including free merchandise and services in addition to cash payments. Since many high-profile guests like Paltrow and Jennifer Aniston are rumored to be given accommodations at places like La Mamounia in exchange for the publicity they attract, and since the new rules “specifically target new media like e-newsletters and websites” (Goop‘s two formats), DailyFinance.com speculates that Paltrow’s high praise could be subject to a high fine.
Gossip Cop suspected the reports were making a mountain out of a molehill. A representative for Paltrow dismissed the severity of the claims. “She always talks about places she has been and loves on Goop,” he told Gossip Cop, “This is no different.”
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- Celebs Confess How They Honestly Felt Being Pregnant
- Highlights of Joe and Teresa Giudice's Plea Deals Revealed
- Kim Kardashian: Airline Passenger Screamed Racist Obscenities at Me
- Why Reality TV Might Cost Kanye His Best Man Jay Z
- What 'Teen Mom' Star Just Bought a House?