Gwyneth Paltrow Alleged Stalker Found Not Guilty
A man accused of stalking Gwyneth Paltrow was found not guilty in a Los Angeles courtroom on Wednesday.
As Gossip Cop reported, Paltrow tearfully testified last week that Dante Soiu had spent years threatening physical and sexual violence against her. The actress said she’s received unwanted letters and gifts from the 66-year-old for the last 17 years, including one in which he said he wanted to use a scalpel “to cut out sin” from her body. Other packages included pornography, and Soiu also expressed determination to marry Paltrow.
The trial specifically dealt with more than 60 items Soui sent Paltrow between 2009 and 2015, and the star’s fears for her safety as a result. But a jury voted in favor of acquittal, apparently believing his disturbing behavior did not rise to the level felony stalking because, in his recent letters, he was not intending to cause harm. The jurors, comprised of six men and six women, had been deliberating since Tuesday.
As Gossip Cop previously noted, Soiu was also found not guilty during a similar trial in 2000, though that acquittal was based on insanity, and he spent several years institutionalized. Now his attorney says Soui, who had claimed during the trial that he only wanted Paltrow’s forgiveness and to minister to her, would return to his native Ohio and refrain from contacting her again. Gossip Cop reached out to a rep for Paltrow for comment on the verdict, but not immediately hear back.