George “Goober” Lindsey of Andy Griffith Show Dies at 83
12:04 pm, May 6th, 2012
George Lindsey, who starred as Goober Pyle on “The Andy Griffith Show,” died on Sunday after a lengthy hospitalization.
He joined the hit show in 1964 when Jim Nabors, who played (Goober’s cousin) Gomer Pyle, left the series.
Lindsey also portrayed Goober on “Hee Haw” from 1971 until 1993.
Long-time pal Andy Griffith said in a statement, “George Lindsey was my friend. I had great respect for his talent and his human spirit. In recent years, we spoke often by telephone. Our last conversation was a few days ago… I am happy to say that as we found ourselves in our eighties, we were not afraid to say, ‘I love you.’ That was the last thing George and I had to say to each other. ‘I love you.’”
Lindsey, grew up in Jasper, Alabama, where he will be buried there.
He was 83.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- 40 Celebrity Babes You Didn't Know Were Vegetarians
- Are These Celebs Cross-Eyed? You Decide!
- Tina Fey is Trying to Make a 'Mean Girls' Reunion Happen
- Star Slim Down: Celebrities Favorite Diets
- 5 Signs That Baby Blue Ivy is The Antichrist