Gilbert Gottfried Fired as “Aflac Duck” For Mocking Japan Disasters on Twitter
5:00 pm, March 14th, 2011
Gilbert Gottfried has been fired as the voice of the “Aflac duck” after tweeting a series of tasteless jokes about the earthquake and tsunami in Japan.
The insurance company – which does approximately 75% of its business in the devastated nation – made the announcement on Monday.
“Gilbert’s recent comments about the crisis in Japan were lacking in humor and certainly do not represent the thoughts and feelings of anyone at Aflac,” read a statement. “There is no place for anything but compassion and concern during these difficult times.”
In the wake of Japan’s recent natural disasters, the acerbic comedian posted about a dozen jokes about the situation (since removed) to his @realgilbert Twitter account.
Among other things, Gottfried wrote, “Japan is really advanced. They don’t go to the beach. The beach comes to them.”
Another tweet read: “I just split up with my girlfriend, but like the Japanese say, ‘They’ll be another one floating by any minute now.’”
The company will have a “nationwide casting call” to find a new voice for its duck.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter for accurate celebrity news!
Check us out on Facebook!
You might like:
- Beyonce Accidentally Posts Pic Of Her Old Nose
- Is Eiza Gonzalez, Liam Hemsworth's Rebound Girlfriend?
- What Are Celebs Saying About The Grammy Nominations?
- Kardashian Family Xmas Kards Through the Years
- A$AP Rocky & His Supermodel Girlfriend Get Fancy
- Where Did Jim Carrey Get His Comedic Roots?
- Bethenny Frankel On Getting Talk Show Guests to Open Up
- Gisele Bundchen's Glam Breastfeeding Photo
- Kelly Rowland Addresses Engagement Rumors
- Kourtney Kardashian & Scott Disick's Crazy College Party