George Lopez In Talks To Replace Donald Trump On “Celebrity Apprentice” (VIDEO)
George Lopez is in talks to replace Donald Trump as the host of “Celebrity Apprentice,” Gossip Cop confirms. While some outlets are refuting the rumor, which was first reported by the New York Post, Gossip Cop is told by a source close to the situation that it’s actually true.
As Gossip Cop reported, “Celebrity Apprentice” was renewed for an eighth season (the 15th overall in the franchise) earlier this year. But its future has been up in the air since Trump announced last month that he is running for president. There were initially concerns about NBC unfairly giving a candidate airtime, but the network was later urged to drop Trump entirely due to inflammatory comments he made about Mexican immigrants.
And drop him NBC did. In a statement late last month, the network said it was severing ties with Trump, and noted, “In addition, as Mr. Trump has already indicated, he will not be participating in ‘The Apprentice’ on NBC. ‘Celebrity Apprentice’ is licensed from Mark Burnett’s United Artists Media Group and that relationship will continue.” No further information about the new season was provided, but Gossip Cop hears NBC is now gearing up to revamp the series, with a fall production and 2016 airing eyed.
There has been speculation that executives would be seeking a Latino host to take Trump’s place, and Gossip Cop is told Lopez is indeed in the mix. That said, there is absolutely NOTHING official, and a deal very may well not happen. For his part, Trump actually wished Lopez luck during a call-in to “Fox & Friends” on Wednesday (see below), though Lopez has spoken out against Trump’s offensive comments. Gossip Cop will have updates.
— FOX & Friends (@foxandfriends) July 15, 2015