Frank Ocean on Why He Came Out: I Don’t Want a “Freakin’ Boulder on My Chest”
4:57 pm, July 20th, 2012
“I wished at 13 there was somebody I looked up to who would have said something like that, who would have been transparent in that way,” the performer says in a new interview with The Guardian.
As Gossip Cop previously reported, Ocean posted a heartfelt Tumblr entry on July 4, revealing the complicated relationship he shared with a male when he was 19 years old.
Ocean’s letter, which was originally written in December and meant to be included in the liner notes of his new album, includes thanks to those who kept his secret and kept him “safe.”
Now with rumors about his sexuality put to rest, Ocean says he’s “happy when I wake up in the morning, and not with this freakin’ boulder on my chest.”
The R&B singer’s Channel Orange album, which was released last week, include lyrics that reference his past, another reason he says he decided to come clean.
He explains to the British paper, “I knew that I was writing in a way that people would ask questions.”
“I knew that my star was rising, and I knew that if I waited I would always have somebody that I respected be able to encourage me to wait longer, to not say it till who knows when,” Ocean continues.
The Odd Future hip-hop collective member went on to acknowledge there was risk, professionally and personally, in coming out, but noted, “People are just afraid of things too much.”
“Sure, evil exists, extremism exists. Somebody could commit a hate crime and hurt me,” he said. “But they could do the same just because I’m black. They could do the same just because I’m American.”
What do you think of Ocean’s comments?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Could This Be Kim K.'s Biggest Fashion Fail Yet?
- Lindsay Lohan: Rehab is Pointless?
- Selena Wouldn't Stalk Justin's Dates Online
- You Won't Believe What Topanga Looks Like Now
- The Worst Celebrity Tattoos Ever
- Celebrities With Super Attractive Siblings
- 24 Celebrities You Didn't Know Were Related
- Amanda Bynes' Scary and Strange Twitter Photos
- Which Celebs Are Barely Recognizable Without Makeup?
- Can You Believe Kim Kardashian Was This Thin?