Singer Frank Ocean Reveals: I Was In Love With a Man
10:14 am, July 4th, 2012
Frank Ocean is opening up about his sexuality, revealing he was in love with a man.
The R&B singer and member of the Odd Future hip-hop collective made the revelation early Wednesday in a heartfelt letter on his Tumblr blog.
“4 summers ago, I met somebody. I was 19 years old. He was too,” wrote Ocean.
He went on to admit the unnamed man was his “first love,” and that the experience caused him to reflect on his past relationships with women.
The performer’s letter, originally written in December and meant to be included in the liner notes of his upcoming album, includes thanks to those who kept his secret and kept him “safe.”
Ocean opted to post the note on his blog after a UK review of his album, Channel Orange, pointed out that his lyrics include “he” and “him” instead of “she” and “her,” sparking rumors about his sexuality.
In explaining his decision to come out, Ocean wrote, “My hope is that the babies born these days will inherit less of the bulls**t than we did.”
After Ocean published his letter, Tyler, The Creator, who’s the head of Odd Future, gave his friend and collaborator props for coming out.
Tyler tweeted, “Finally… @frank_ocean,” adding in a subsequent post, “My Big Brother Finally F***ing Did That. Proud Of That N***a Cause I Know That Sh*t Is Difficult Or Whatever.”
You can read Ocean’s full post here.
What do you think of Ocean’s letter?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- 24 Celebrities You Didn't Know Were Related
- Lindsay Lohan: Rehab is Pointless?
- Hockey Player Scores With Erin Andrews
- The Drew Carey Show: What Ever Happened to Mimi?
- Kim Kardashian's Swollen Feet Scream For Help
- Kendall Jenner Admits Being A Kardashian Ruined Her Childhood
- Amanda Bynes' Scary and Strange Twitter Photos
- Black Celebrities Who Have Turned White
- Remember Lisa Turtle? Wait Til You See Her Now!
- Could This Be Kim K.'s Biggest Fashion Fail Yet?