Fifty Shades of Grey Fans Protest Charlie Hunnam and Dakota Johnson Casting
5:59 pm, September 3rd, 2013
As is the case with many major pop cultural developments in the Internet age (see: Ben Affleck’s casting as Batman), there’s been backlash, with thousands of fans of the EL James books expressing disappointment or outrage over the Hunnam-Johnson pairing.
At least one petition is currently circulating to have producers replace their official selections with Matt Bomer as Christian Grey and Alexis Bledel as Anastasia Steele — and it has 10,000 signatures.
Of course, while fan movements have occasionally helped to save beloved TV shows from cancellation or prompted Hollywood to take action on other matters, the petition is not going to reverse the casting of Hunnam and Johnson.
As the film’s producer Dana Brunetti noted on Twitter shortly after Monday’s announcement, “There is a lot that goes into casting that isn’t just looks. Talent, availability, their desire to do it, chemistry with other actor, etc.”
He continued, “So if your favorite wasn’t cast, then it is most likely due to something on that list. Keep that in mind while hating and keep perspective.”
It may not satisfy the Hunnam and Johnson haters, but it should hopefully make anyone unhappy with the Fifty Shades casting more realistic about accepting the decisions and going to theaters with open minds.
What do you think about the choices of Hunnam and Johnson? Does it change your interest in seeing the movie?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- Celebs Confess How They Honestly Felt Being Pregnant
- 10 Insanely Famous People Who are Secret Introverts
- 12 Shocking Celebrity Family Ties You Won't Believe
- 20 Hot Celebrities Who Look Busted Without Makeup
- Richard Gere Sets His Sights On A Much Younger Starlet