“New Moon” Sets Three-Day Box Office Record
11:34 am, November 22nd, 2009
Vampires and werewolves are Hollywood’s new kings.
Sources tell Gossip Cop “The Twilight Saga: New Moon” has set a (non-summer) weekend box office record, taking in an astounding $140.7 million since it opened nationwide at midnight on Thursday.
The film’s record-smashing first night paved the way for a three-day haul that “eclipses” all previous weekend windfalls (except summer’s “The Dark Knight” and “Spider-Man 3″).
The estimated international box office take for the three days is $258.8 million.
OTHER MILESTONES & NOTES:
- $140.7 million playing at 4,024 theaters for a per theater average of $34,965.
- Best single opening day ever surpassing THE DARK KNIGHT ($67.2 million)
- Biggest 2 day total to reach $100 + million ($115.9 million to surpass THE DARK KNIGHT’s $114.8 million)
- Biggest November opening in history surpassing HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE ($102.7 million)
- 3rd biggest opening weekend ever surpassing PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN: DEAD MANS CHEST ($135.6 million)
- Best gross for midnight shows ever at $26.3 million surpassing HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE ($22.2 million)
You might like:
- You Won't Believe What Topanga Looks Like Now
- Is Justin Bieber Dating Kylie Jenner?
- The Drew Carey Show: What Ever Happened to Mimi?
- Easily Achieve 'A-List' Hair Color
- Celebrities With Super Attractive Siblings
- The Real Reason Kim Won't Marry Kanye
- Tyra Banks Without Make-up: Still Think She's Hot?
- The Worst Celebrity Tattoos Ever
- Kim Kardashian's Swollen Feet Scream For Help
- Human Barbie Discusses Her Unique Look