Ethan Hawke: ‘I Had No Business’ Marrying Uma Thurman When I Was 27 Years Old
3:08 pm, August 16th, 2013
Speaking about lessons he’s learned about love through the years, the actor confesses that he wed Thurman in 1998 at age 27 because “the world felt out of control.”
“I thought marriage would decrease my variables or something. I was absolutely wrong,” he admits.
Hawke continues, “There was this discovery that the male brain isn’t done until 28. I definitely think my frontal lobe was not finished. I had no business taking vows that would last more than two weeks.”
The Before Midnight star, who split from Thurman in 2003, goes on to cite Derek Jeter as “the guy who’s got it right.”
“He lives his life like, ‘Hey man, I play shortstop for the New York Yankees. And I’m not going to get married until I’m no longer a shortstop for the New York Yankees,’” says Hawke, adding, “Which is incredibly smart.”
One thing the movie star doesn’t have regrets over is how he lost his virginity.
“I lost my virginity to someone I cared for very much and who cared very much for me,” he tells the magazine. “The thing that’s so important for young people to know is that, if you use protection, sex is one of the few vices that you can really enjoy as a young person.”
Hawke, who has two kids with Thurman, is now wed to former nanny Ryan Shawhughes, with whom he has two daughters.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- The Most Educated Rappers In The Game
- The Brattiest Celebrity Kids
- NBA Star Ray Allen Is One Lucky Man
- 8 Aww-Inspiring Baby Photos Of Celeb Kids
- What The Frock?: Horrible Celeb Fashion Fails
- Does Will Smith Think Jada's Style Is Whack?
- Did Beyonce & Jay-Z Chemically Process Blue Ivy's Hair?
- Renee Zellweger Looks Hardly Recognizable
- Courtney Stodden's Risque Cleavage-Bearing Mini-Dress
- Kendall Jenner Gets A Completely New Look