Ethan Hawke: Humans are “Not Monogamous,” Relationships Can’t Be Built On “Sexual Fidelity”
3:42 pm, November 30th, 2013
The actor was rumored to have cheated on Uma Thurman with the couple’s nanny Ryan Shawhughes, to whom he’s now married.
Hawke says of his marriage to Shawhughes, “My relationship with my present wife is thrilling to me and I’m committed to it.”
However, the star adds, “But neither she nor I know what shape the future will come in. Sexual fidelity can’t be the whole thing you hang your relationship on.”
“If you really love somebody you want them to grow, but you don’t get to define how that happens. They do,” offers Hawke.
The Before Midnight actor goes on to say, “People have such a childish view of monogamy and fidelity. ‘He’s cheated so he’s bad, she’s cheated so she’s bad,’ as opposed to a recognition that our species is not monogamous.”
“To act all indignant, that your world has been rocked because your lover wasn’t faithful to you, is a little bit like acting rocked that your hair went grey,” continues Hawke, who notes, “Human beings are sexual beings.”
What do you think of Hawke’s opinions on relationships?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Did Kim Kardashian Wax Her Babies Eyebrows?
- Celebrity Breakups: Who Called it Quits in 2013?
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Why Does Shailene Woodley Think Twilight is "Toxic?"
- Harry Styles Takes His Womanizing Ways to the Next Level
- Kylie and Kendall: The Jenner Sister's Most Stylish Moments
- 16 Cute Celebrity Pics from Childhood
- Seriously Gorgeous Shots From Your Fave ANTM Alum