Ethan Hawke: Humans are “Not Monogamous,” Relationships Can’t Be Built On “Sexual Fidelity”
3:42 pm, November 30th, 2013
The actor was rumored to have cheated on Uma Thurman with the couple’s nanny Ryan Shawhughes, to whom he’s now married.
Hawke says of his marriage to Shawhughes, “My relationship with my present wife is thrilling to me and I’m committed to it.”
However, the star adds, “But neither she nor I know what shape the future will come in. Sexual fidelity can’t be the whole thing you hang your relationship on.”
“If you really love somebody you want them to grow, but you don’t get to define how that happens. They do,” offers Hawke.
The Before Midnight actor goes on to say, “People have such a childish view of monogamy and fidelity. ‘He’s cheated so he’s bad, she’s cheated so she’s bad,’ as opposed to a recognition that our species is not monogamous.”
“To act all indignant, that your world has been rocked because your lover wasn’t faithful to you, is a little bit like acting rocked that your hair went grey,” continues Hawke, who notes, “Human beings are sexual beings.”
What do you think of Hawke’s opinions on relationships?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- Is Robyn Ready For Her Comeback?
- The Truth Behind Lana Del Rey's New Music
- Celebs De-Stress in Distressed Jeans
- Actors Who Refuse To Work Together
- Celebs Who Are Famous Because of Their Parents