Drew Brees is Sportsman of the Year
10:52 am, November 30th, 2010VIDEO
Drew Brees has been named Sportsman of the Year by Sports Illustrated.
The star quarterback for the New Orleans Saints led his team to its first Super Bowl win in February.
For a city recovering from Hurricane Katrina, however, Brees’ arrival in 2006 and the Saints’ eventual championship meant a great deal more than just football.
Brees has spoken often about how his career was revived as the disaster-ravaged city began to rebuild.
“I needed New Orleans so badly back in 2006, just somebody to believe in me, somebody to care about me. And that’s why myself and my wife Brittany, we just tried to throw ourselves into the community, to do our part,” said Brees.
Known for his charitable contributions and willingness to be seen as a “role model” for young people, Brees reflected on his symbiotic relationship with his neighbors, “It seems like good advice for many people around the country — lean on each other.”
And what about the Sports Illustrated honor?
“It’s a special dream,” he said.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter for accurate celebrity news!
Check us out on Facebook!
You might like:
- Could This Be Kim K.'s Biggest Fashion Fail Yet?
- Woah! Old Photos of Kim Kardashian
- Jesus vs. Yeezus: Comparing the Almighty Figures
- Austin Mahone Breaking More Hearts Than Bieber
- Celebrities With Super Attractive Siblings
- Can You Believe Kim Kardashian Was This Thin?
- Black Celebrities Who Have Turned White
- You Won't Believe Nicky Minaj's Natural Hair
- 11 Terms For Understanding Nicki Minaj's Tweets
- Mommy Makeover: Teen Mom Catelynn's Slim Down