Drew Brees is Sportsman of the Year
10:52 am, November 30th, 2010VIDEO
Drew Brees has been named Sportsman of the Year by Sports Illustrated.
The star quarterback for the New Orleans Saints led his team to its first Super Bowl win in February.
For a city recovering from Hurricane Katrina, however, Brees’ arrival in 2006 and the Saints’ eventual championship meant a great deal more than just football.
Brees has spoken often about how his career was revived as the disaster-ravaged city began to rebuild.
“I needed New Orleans so badly back in 2006, just somebody to believe in me, somebody to care about me. And that’s why myself and my wife Brittany, we just tried to throw ourselves into the community, to do our part,” said Brees.
Known for his charitable contributions and willingness to be seen as a “role model” for young people, Brees reflected on his symbiotic relationship with his neighbors, “It seems like good advice for many people around the country — lean on each other.”
And what about the Sports Illustrated honor?
“It’s a special dream,” he said.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter for accurate celebrity news!
Check us out on Facebook!
You might like:
- Usher's Girlfriend Is An Alicia Keys Lookalike!
- Top 10 Picks to Play Christian Grey
- 10 Celebrity Moms Who Practice Attachment Parenting
- Beyonce Spoke To Blue Ivy While Giving Birth?
- Perrie Edwards' Many Hair Colors
- Tom Cruise Says He Never 'Abandoned' Suri
- Sasha Obama's Sweater Starts Fashion Frenzy
- Beyonce And Jay Z's Cutest Family Pics!
- 32 Celeb Moms We Have Serious Crushes On
- All-Time Hottest Celebs with Facial Hair