Drew Brees is Sportsman of the Year
10:52 am, November 30th, 2010VIDEO
Drew Brees has been named Sportsman of the Year by Sports Illustrated.
The star quarterback for the New Orleans Saints led his team to its first Super Bowl win in February.
For a city recovering from Hurricane Katrina, however, Brees’ arrival in 2006 and the Saints’ eventual championship meant a great deal more than just football.
Brees has spoken often about how his career was revived as the disaster-ravaged city began to rebuild.
“I needed New Orleans so badly back in 2006, just somebody to believe in me, somebody to care about me. And that’s why myself and my wife Brittany, we just tried to throw ourselves into the community, to do our part,” said Brees.
Known for his charitable contributions and willingness to be seen as a “role model” for young people, Brees reflected on his symbiotic relationship with his neighbors, “It seems like good advice for many people around the country — lean on each other.”
And what about the Sports Illustrated honor?
“It’s a special dream,” he said.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter for accurate celebrity news!
Check us out on Facebook!
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- Super Cute: Jordin Sparks Wows in a Bikini
- Vivica Fox Comes After Brandi: Inside The Fight
- Khloe Kardashian and French Montana: Did They Confirm Their Love?
- Major Legal Drama: Why is Drake Being Sued?
- Karrueche Tran Supports Her Man Chris Brown in Court