Donald Sterling to Sue NBA for $1 Billion
Donald Sterling plans to sue the NBA for $1 billion, his lawyer confirms.
His attorney tells ESPN the legal complaint, to be filed Friday, is over “an invasion of his constitutional rights, violation of antitrust laws, breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract.”
The news of the lawsuit comes less than a day after his estranged wife Shelly reached a deal with Steve Ballmer to sell the Los Angeles Clippers for $2 billion, a binding agreement that got the NBA’s seal of approval earlier on Friday.
“The NBA, Shelly Sterling and the Sterling Family Trust today resolved their dispute over the ownership of the Los Angeles Clippers. Under the agreement, the Clippers will be sold to Steve Ballmer, pending approval by the NBA Board of Governors, and the NBA will withdraw its pending charge to terminate the Sterlings’ ownership of the team,” the league said in a statement
It further noted, “Mrs. Sterling and the Trust also agreed not to sue the NBA and to indemnify the NBA against lawsuits from others, including from Donald Sterling.”
Sterling’s lawyer tells ESPN his lawsuit “has nothing to do with the sale,” and that the 80-year-old — who was reportedly diagnosed with Alzheimer’s — may still sue his wife.
The attorney further says Sterling is “far from mentally incompetent.”