Don Cornelius, Creator of Soul Train, Dead in Apparent Suicide
9:40 am, February 1st, 2012
Don Cornelius, who created the musical variety show “Soul Train,” was found dead on Wednesday in an apparent suicide.
He was 75.
Law enforcement officials say Cornelius died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.
He was found by police in his Sherman Oaks, California home, and later pronounced dead at the hospital.
Cornelius’ longtime friend Quincy Jones said in statement, ”I am shocked and deeply saddened at the sudden passing of my friend, colleague, and business partner Don Cornelius.”
“Don was a visionary pioneer and a giant in our business. Before MTV there was ‘Soul Train,’ that will be the great legacy of Don Cornelius. His contributions to television, music and our culture as a whole will never be matched. My heart goes out to Don’s family and loved ones.”
“Soul Train,” ran from 1971 – 2006, and Cornelius hosted the show until 1996.
A clip of Cornelius on the legendary show is below.
Gossip Cop will have updates.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Can You Believe Kim Kardashian Was This Thin?
- 9 Biggest Stunts Kim and Kanye Have Pulled
- Khaki And Casual Combat Style With Demi Lovato
- Kendall Jenner Admits Being A Kardashian Ruined Her Childhood
- Kim Kardashian's Swollen Feet Scream For Help
- Model's Too-Tiny Bikini Causes Wardrobe Malfunction
- The Worst Celebrity Tattoos Ever
- Most Influential Celebrities Of The Year
- What Does Ariana Grande's Tattoo Mean To Her?
- Kim Kardashian's Best Pregnancy Looks