Dennis Rodman Goes to North Korea to Spread Peace Through Basketball
11:09 am, February 26th, 2013
Dennis Rodman is in North Korea, seeking to calm geopolitical tensions through “basketball diplomacy.”
The former NBA star turned unlikely diplomat and three members of the Harlem Globetrotters have gone to the belligerent Communist country with a production crew to run a basketball camp for children, play alongside North Korean athletes, and film everything for an upcoming HBO special.
It’s reported that the nation’s leader Kim Jong Un was a fan of the 1990s Chicago Bulls, with whom Rodman won three championships as a flamboyant, controversial rebound specialist.
“Is sending the Harlem Globetrotters and Dennis Rodman to the [Democratic People's Republic of Korea] strange? In a word, yes,” Vice Media founder Shane Smith tells the Associated Press.
He adds, “But finding common ground on the basketball court is a beautiful thing.”
Rodman’s agent Darren Prince explains that the basketball legend “knew it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to have a fun shoot around playing basketball and would give him the chance to speak directly to Kim Jong (Un) that the only way to go is with peace not war.”
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Reese Witherspoon's Flirty Red Carpet Waves
- Scarlett Johansson's 10 Sexiest Looks
- Diddy Throws A Star Studded Pool Party
- Jada Pinkett's M.O.: Rescue Willow From Hollywood!
- A Look Back At Paul Walker's Legacy
- What Happened to Miley Cyrus' Eyebrows?
- Beyonce Spoke To Blue Ivy While Giving Birth?
- 15 Sexy Celebrity Hairstyles To Try
- Kim Kardashian's Mommy Time With North West
- A$AP Rocky Drop "Fashion Killa" Video Starring Rihanna