Demi Lovato Slams Disney Channel For Eating Disorder Joke
8:43 pm, December 23rd, 2011
Demi Lovato is blasting her former employer for a joke about eating disorders on the Disney Channel show “Shake It Up.”
Lovato, who has publicly shared her struggles with bulimia, took issue with a character saying, “I could just eat you up, well if I ate.”
“What are we promoting here?” the former “Sonny With A Chance” star asked on Twitter.
Lovato said she finds it “really funny how a company can lose one of their actress’ from the pressures of an EATING DISORDER and yet still make joke[s] about that very disease.”
She also complained that stars of similar shows are “getting THINNER AND THINNER.”
When the singer-actress announced she was leaving her Disney show in April to focus on her well-being and her music career, Disney said it supported her choice.
Now it seems the network may have actually learned very little from watching one of its biggest stars suffer.
“Dear Disney Channel, EATING DISORDERS ARE NOT SOMETHING TO JOKE ABOUT,” Lovato admonished.
Perhaps they’re listening now.
What do you think of Lovato’s comments?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Did Kim Kardashian Wax Her Babies Eyebrows?
- Celebrity Breakups: Who Called it Quits in 2013?
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Kate Bosworth's New Red Hair - Makeover or Makeunder?
- Demi Lovato Rocks The Skrillex Look
- 10 Famous Couples Who Should Never Split Up
- 9 Celebs Who Married Average Joes
- Celebrities Remember Their First Kiss