Demi Lovato on Past Struggles: “My Mentality Was ‘Work Hard, Play Hard’”
11:07 am, December 2nd, 2013
The onetime Disney star famously entered rehab in 2010 as she battled addiction issues, an eating disorder, and a history of self-harm.
Lovato explains that much of what went wrong happened because she grew up so fast.
“My parents tried to control me, but I’d be like, ‘Oh really, I’m grounded? Well, I pay the bills,’” she tells the magazine. “They did the best they could. And I think that’s why a lot of young stars struggle when they’re making money or providing for their family.”
She goes on to say, “My mentality was ‘Work hard, play hard.’”
“It was hard to listen to the word ‘no.’ I wanted to make my own rules. I thought that if I was adult enough to get there, then I could party like an adult,” adds Lovato. “And obviously, I couldn’t.”
But Lovato does not want to be defined by her struggle, either.
“I would like to separate myself from being the girl who overcame her issues, or the Disney chick who ended up in rehab while she was still on Disney,” she tells NYLON. “I don’t want people to hear my songs on the radio and be like, ‘Oh, that’s the girl who cut.’”
That said, her honesty in opening up about problems and her process of recovery has set her apart from other pop stars, and Lovato thinks it’s made for a stronger bond with her admirers.
“Now I have probably the best relationship between any artist and their fans,” she says, “because I have no secrets.”
What do you think about what Lovato had to say?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Did Kim Kardashian Wax Her Babies Eyebrows?
- Celebrity Breakups: Who Called it Quits in 2013?
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Kate Bosworth's New Red Hair - Makeover or Makeunder?
- Demi Lovato Rocks The Skrillex Look
- 10 Famous Couples Who Should Never Split Up
- 9 Celebs Who Married Average Joes
- Celebrities Remember Their First Kiss