Demi Lovato Opens Up on Katie: My Body Issues Started When I Was Still in Diapers
12:42 pm, September 21st, 2012
Demi Lovato opens up about her ongoing struggle with body issues during an upcoming appearance on “Katie,” where she reveals her insecurities started at just 3 years old.
“I remember being 3 years old in a diaper and rubbing my hand over my stomach,” Lovato says, “and I remember thinking in my head ‘I wonder if one day this will ever be flat?’”
Lovato’s misconceptions about her body, as well as bullying from peers who called her “fat,” led “The X Factor” judge to battle with bulimia, cutting, and depression.
Of the teasing, Lovato says, “It played more of a toll on me than if I was physically abused in school. ”
“I’ve always said I wished that they had just hit me in the face and gotten it over with because what they said to me sticks to me to this day and it [turned] me into the person I am today,” she tells Katie Couric.
Of course, Lovato herself ended up hitting someone else in the face, her backup dancer, during an altercation in 2010.
Calling the incident “a huge mistake,” she admits, “I wasn’t really in control of my emotions at the time and I was just out of control and there’s no excuse for it but it definitely showed everyone I needed to get help and I think two days later I was checking into rehab.”
Earlier this week, it was announced Lovato will serve as an ambassador for Secret deodorant’s “Mean Stinks” anti-bullying campaign.
Lovato’s full interview on “Katie” will air on Monday.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- DMX Has Baby Number 12 On The Way!
- What The Frock?: Horrible Celeb Fashion Fails
- 30 Child Actors Who Died Young
- 8 Aww-Inspiring Baby Photos Of Celeb Kids
- What Rapper Is Father To These Sweet Siblings?
- Kendall Jenner Gets A Completely New Look
- Double Date With Kanye West And Kim Kardashian
- 10 Artists Who Stole Ideas & Never Gave Credit
- Rihanna's Instagram Leads To Arrests In Thailand
- Tom Cruise Says He Never 'Abandoned' Suri