Justin Bieber “Fans” Start “Cut For Bieber” Hoax to Protest Singer’s Alleged Drug Use
3:11 pm, January 7th, 2013
This is horrifying.
On Monday, pranksters posing as Justin Bieber fans originated a sick online campaign that led #CutForBieber and #CuttingForBieber to trend on Twitter, circulating shocking images purporting to show fans with slashed wrists, blades and blood.
The supposed “fans” posted the upsetting images along with messages pleading with Bieber to stop smoking marijuana, as he appeared to be doing in photos released this past weekend.
The barrage of gruesome (real and fabricated) pictures and tweets referencing self-harm as a method of “protesting” Bieber’s alleged drug use sparked sympathy, outrage and disgust.
Observers rightly pointed out that fake photos diminish the real mental health and self-esteem issues related to cutting.
Many Twitter users responded by posting “cutting for Bieber” pictures of themselves using scissors to cut paper.
While the original #CutForBieber images seem to have been done as a sick joke by a prankster group, the “campaign” quickly took on a life of its own.
Considering how serious the issue of self-harm is for millions of young people, this hoax is particularly disgusting.
It’s just plain wrong to joke about wrist-cutting and self-abuse.
Gossip Cop hopes Monday’s “cutting” trends don’t inspire any actual self-harm among young social media users increasingly comfortable in a digital culture that glorifies dark, disturbing voyeurism.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Did Kim Kardashian Wax Her Babies Eyebrows?
- Celebrity Breakups: Who Called it Quits in 2013?
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Highlights of Joe and Teresa Giudice's Plea Deals Revealed
- Troublemaking Brandi Glanville Complains About Housewife Fans Hating Her
- Why Reality TV Might Cost Kanye His Best Man Jay Z
- Which Celebrity Gives Back The Most?
- Cameron Diaz Gets Honest About Her Bad Skin