Chris Brown OFF Probation: Rihanna Assault Case Officially Over After Six Years
Chris Brown is officially OFF probation. The performer joyously announced the news on Twitter on Friday, shortly after a stunning Los Angeles court appearance resulted in the judge ending Brown’s probation, more than six years after Brown’s assault on then-girlfriend Rihanna began his legal drama. “IM OFF PROBATION!!!!!!!! Thank the Lord!!!!!!” tweeted Brown.
Judge James R. Brandlin told the court that Brown had successfully completed his community service and other requirements, closing the book on the 2009 case that’s made headlines ever since. Brown’s court supervision is done. He’s a free man. And the positive decision came even though questions had been raised about Brown’s compliance with the terms of his probation, including his proximity to two shootings in recent months and a performance in San Jose without permission.
At one point, Brown’s probation officer had even advised the court to put the performer back behind bars. Although Brown’s community service obligations had been met, the possibility of jail still loomed. It was not at all certain how things would turn out for Brown, who tweeted earlier on Friday before his hearing, “Hopefully this is my last day in court….. Pray for me.”
While prayers may not have reversed Brown’s fate, a very positive new review from probation personnel did. The latest status report indicated that many of the issues clouding Brown’s probation performance had been resolved, and the judge decided to let Brown off probation. “I couldn’t be more delighted,” Brown’s attorney Mark Geragos told reporters. “He is in a spot right now and a place right now that I couldn’t be prouder of him.”