Cheryl Burke Quits Miss USA Pageant, Steps Down As Co-Host — STATEMENT
Cheryl Burke has just quit the Miss USA pageant. The “Dancing with the Stars” alum was slated to co-host next month’s ceremony, but announced on Tuesday that she is stepping down.
Burke says in a statement, “In light of the recent statements made by Donald Trump and the subsequent decision by NBC to cut ties with Mr. Trump, I cannot in good conscience move forward with participating in this year’s Miss USA Pageant as its co-host. Effective today I have withdrawn from my duties with Miss USA. Although I will not be there in person, I wish all of the contestants much luck as I know how hard they’ve all been working over the last year to try and realize their dreams.”
Burke was scheduled to emcee alongside Thomas Roberts of MSNBC, but he is no longer participating, either. Her decision to disassociate herself with the July 12 event comes one day after NBC said it would no longer broadcast the pageant. The network also announced it was completely ending its business the relationship with Trump.
The ongoing controversy stems from Trump’s presidential announcement speech, in which he said most Mexican immigrants are “rapists” and criminals. He has been largely slammed for the characterization, though he is continuing to stand by his remarks, and threatening to sue NBCUniversal for not airing the pageant when they have a multi-year contract.
Trump is one of the owners of the Miss Universe Organization, which oversees Miss Universe, Miss USA, and Miss Teen USA. Organizers reportedly hope to still find a television home for the Miss USA pageant, which is just two weeks away. Gossip Cop will continue to have update. Burke is best known for “DWTS,” but is currently starring on the NBC variety series, “I Can Do That.” TELL US: What do you do think Burke dropping out as co-host?