Charlotte Church Awarded Nearly $1 Million in Phone Hacking Scandal
8:50 am, February 27th, 2012
Charlotte Church is the latest celebrity victim of the UK phone hacking scandal to be awarded a monetary settlement.
In a London court on Monday, it was announced Church, whose voicemails were repeatedly hacked, will receive $951,000.
Church had testified that her family’s voicemails provided the basis for more than 30 articles in the now-defunct News of the World.
The settlement, however, provided little comfort to the singer, who slammed the paper’s publisher News International.
“What I have discovered as the litigation has gone on has sickened and disgusted me. Nothing was deemed off limits by those who pursued me and my family, just to make money for a multinational news corporation,” Church said outside the court.
She added, “I have also discovered that despite the apology which the newspaper has just given in court, these people were prepared to go to any lengths to prevent me exposing their behavior.”
“They are not truly sorry,” Church said. “They are just sorry they got caught.”
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Kim Kardashian Addresses eBay Auction Donation Controversy
- Bethenny Frankel On Getting Talk Show Guests to Open Up
- 13 Most Surprising Celebrity Couples
- What Are Celebs Saying About The Grammy Nominations?
- Beyonce Accidentally Posts Pic Of Her Old Nose
- Best Halloween Costumes In Hollywood
- 30 Scientologists You'll Probably Recognize
- Macaulay Culkin's Band Is Kind Of Amazing
- '90s Hairstyles We Thought Were Absolutely Cool
- Is Blake Lively Trying To Revive Her Career?