Charlie Hunnam Talks Fifty Sex Scenes, “Tangible Chemistry” With Dakota Johnson
9:35 am, September 8th, 2013
Charlie Hunnam is speaking out for the first time about his controversial casting in Fifty Shades of Grey.
As Gossip Cop previously reported, the actor will star as Christian Grey, the young businessman who starts an explicit erotic relationship with a college student, who will be played by Dakota Johnson.
The casting has received a largely negative reaction from fans, some of whom have already petitioned to have the stars replaced.
But Hunnam is convinced he’s right for the part.
“As soon as we got in the room and started reading with Dakota, I knew that I definitely wanted to do it, because there was a tangible chemistry between us,” the “Sons of Anarchy” star told reporters at the series’ season 6 premiere event on Saturday.
He continued, “It felt kind of exciting and fun and weird and compelling, and so that was it.”
Hunnam’s interest in the role was initially piqued by a meeting with director Sam Taylor-Johnson, and then increased when he spent time pouring over the novel by E L James.
“I went and read the first book to get a clearer idea of who this character was, and felt even more excited about the prospect of bringing him to life,” revealed the actor.
Noting that his girlfriend encouraged him to take the role, Hunnam said he has no qualms about the project’s raunchy material.
“My first job was on a Channel 4 miniseries called Queer as Folk. It was incredibly explicit sexual scenes with a man,” he said, according to THR. “I mean I’m 16 and 17 years wiser now. So if I could do it when I was 18 with a guy, I can certainly do it at 33 with a lady.”
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- The Drama Continues With Pauly D's Baby Mama!
- 30 Child Actors Who Died Young
- John Mayer & Katy Perry's Romantic Photoshoot
- Kanye Won't Be Happy About Drake's New Endorsement
- Reese Witherspoon's Flirty Red Carpet Waves
- Scarlett Johansson's 10 Sexiest Looks
- North West, Is That You? Khloe Kardashian Posts A Picture
- Paul Walker Did the Most Generous Thing Ever
- Julianne Hough Is Looking Very Different These Days
- What Would Blair Underwood Give Up Fame For?