Top 10 Celebrity Splits Of 2016!
This will go down as the year of the Brangelina Breakup. The world of pop culture was rocked in 2016 when the superstar couple ended their famous love affair. But they weren’t the only stars to announce a divorce this year. Check out some of the biggest splits from the last 12 months below.
1. Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt stunned fans when she filed for divorce in September, following two years of marriage and a full decade together. It was later revealed Jolie left Pitt after he had a fight with son Maddox, the oldest of their six children, during a flight. Though Pitt was cleared in a child abuse investigation, the messiness of the split continues as the estranged couple tries to work out a custody arrangement.
2. Amber Heard and Johnny Depp had one of the year’s nastiest breakups when the actress accused her husband of verbally and physically abusing her throughout their 15-month marriage. While Depp denied the allegations, Heard sought a restraining order, and photos of the actress with apparent bruises on her face leaked online. They eventually reached a settlement, but have continued to argue over how it’s carried out.
3. Taylor Swift and Calvin Harris celebrated their first anniversary in March, only to break up in June. After she rebounded with Tom Hiddleston and it emerged she was the writer behind the deejay’s Rihanna collaboration, “This Is What You Came For,” Harris ripped Swift in a scathing Twitter rant. By September, her romance with Hiddleston was over, too.
4. Drew Barrymore and Will Kopelman announced in April that they were divorcing, just shy of their four-year anniversary. As the parents of two young children, the former couple said in a joint statement that the kids would remain their “first priority.” Since then, Barrymore and Kopelman have been seen publicly co-parenting together. In the weeks following their split, Gossip Cop debunked reports falsely claiming Barrymore was pregnant.
5. Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber survived February breakup rumors, but ultimately announced the end of their 11-year relationship in September. The stars, who have two sons together, explained that “the best way forward for us as a family is to separate as a couple.” What followed in October was an erroneous tabloid story blaming the breakup on Katie Holmes, who appeared with Schreiber on his Showtime series, “Ray Donovan.”
6. Jennifer Meyer and Tobey Maguire revealed in October that after nine years of marriage they had actually been secretly separated since June. Once their split was made public, the actor was wrongly linked romantically to the much-younger Sofia Richie, as well as the much-older Demi Moore. A tabloid rumor also claimed Maguire’s gambling was the reason for the divorce, while another predicted the breakup would ruin his career. Both were nonsense.
7. Mariah Carey and James Packer’s January engagement after less than a year of dating had many predicting the singer and billionaire would have one of the biggest celebrity weddings in recent memory. But in October, the couple split, with each pointing the finger at the other. Carey is still rocking her engagement ring, despite starting up a flirtation with dancer Bryan Tanaka. “Mariah’s World,” which premiered in December, has the diva juggling both men.
8. Lady Gaga and Taylor Kinney were another pair who called off their engagement. The actor had popped the question on Valentine’s Day in 2015, but the romance fell apart in July 2016, before they could make it down the aisle. Kinney recently reunited with Gaga’s mother at a charity event, sparking false speculation that he and the singer were back together. But there hasn’t been a reconciliation.
9. Demi Lovato and Wilmer Valderrama’s on-and-off relationship came to an end in June. In a joint statement, the stars said it was an “incredibly difficult decision” to move on after nearly six years together, but they had “realized more than anything that we are better as best friends.” Following a false claim that Nick Jonas had caused the split, Lovato stepped out with UFC fighter Luke Rockhold.
10. Diane Kruger and Joshua Jackson never married, but it was still a surprise when they separated in July after 10 years together. Before and after the breakup, both stars were falsely accused of cheating on the other. And their friendly post-split dynamic led some to wrongly suggest in August that they were getting back together. During a December appearance on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show,” however, Jackson revealed he was single and struggling to find dates.
Other couples who called it quits this year include Jennifer Lopez and Casper Smart, Mary J. Blige and Kendu Isaacs, Marc Anthony and Shannon De Lima, and Larsa and Scottie Pippen. See more of 2016’s broken-hearted stars in the gallery below.
But it’s not all bad news. Megan Fox filed for divorce from Brian Austin Green in 2015, only to reunite and have another child with him in 2016. Courteney Cox and Johnny McDaid also got back together, as did Patrick and Jillian Dempsey, and Sharon and Ozzy Osbourne. Sometimes love wins. Here’s hoping 2017 brings more of it for everyone.